Are Mobile Users Finding Their Way to DSpace?
From Bram Luyten, @mire
Heverlee, Belgium @mire recently investigated mobile usage of DSpace backed by usage statistics from 6 high profile European DSpace repositories.
In a recent investigation undertaken in September 2013, @mire found reasons to believe that mobile and tablet usage of DSpace is on the rise. Today's mobile usage of the 6 participating repositories comes in between 1.35% and 5.29% of the total visits. After comparing this to a global average of 17.4% recently reported by Mashable, the article leaves it open whether further optimization of DSpace for mobile access is required. Some of the DSpace use cases, notably submission, may just conceptually not meant to be carried out without the facilities offered by a desktop computer.
This investigation was made possible thanks to data from:
• Gothenburg University Publications Electronic Archive
• Digital repository for KU Leuven Association research
• University of Pardubice DSpace
• Malmö university electronic publishing
• Theseus.fi: Open Repository of the Universities of Applied Sciences