Chief Executive Officer
DuraSpace is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Chief Executive Officer to lead the organization and community in managing world class global community source software projects and services that enable long term access, management and preservation of digital scholarship and research. The CEO is in a position to influence and shape the emerging national and international efforts underway for managing academic and cultural knowledge. These projects are dependent on DuraSpace’s technology and expertise, and its vibrant and global community of users.
The DuraSpace community, staff, partners and members are united in the belief that preserving the world's intellectual, cultural and scientific heritage is vital. What does it take to translate that deeply held, shared commitment into innovative action? That is the challenge for the next leader of the DuraSpace organization as we move into the future together.
As a 501(c)(3), DuraSpace provides stewardship and support for global open source projects that include DSpace, Fedora and VIVO. Collectively these projects are deployed by over 2,000 large and small organizations and institutions that rely on these platforms to do their work. In addition to its open source products, DuraSpace hosts the DSpaceDirect and DuraCloud, affordable cloud-based services that provide turnkey solutions for managing open digital cultural materials.
The next DuraSpace CEO will honor and cultivate relationships with our members who make ongoing personal and financial commitments to sustain and improve our open source projects. This work requires a leader who pays attention to emerging trends in the scholarly preservation ecosystem with an eye to how DuraSpace fits in.
DuraSpace relies on relationships with our members, partners and friends to leverage limited resources in support of shared community goals. The ideal CEO candidate will be an intrinsic part of and contributor to the emerging scholarly preservation ecosystem and a passionate supporter of ongoing outreach and communications efforts that strengthen ties to our community and enhance our reputation as a world-class organization that is committed to our digital future.
The Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for DuraSpace. This position reports to the Board of Directors.
- Be the key spokesperson to articulate DuraSpace’s vision, and the role DuraSpace plays in bringing communities together to collaborate on building local, national and international infrastructure to support global access to academic and cultural knowledge
- Expand DuraSpace’s open source project portfolio, to strategically align with and complement our existing projects
- Develop and execute a plan to manage strategic relationships, products and services internationally
- Actively manage, cultivate and engage with the DuraSpace Board
- Actively engage with DuraSpace project steering groups, DuraSpace members and service customers
- Manage the services operation, develop key partnerships and possible acquisitions
- Manage all fiscal operations of DuraSpace
- Lead, coach, develop and retain a high performing staff to accomplish the goals of the organization
- Continue to grow and expand current membership both locally (USA) and abroad
- Continue to grow and expand DuraSpace projects and services that align with the mission, our communities, and contribute to the overall sustainability of the organization
Skills and Competencies
- A Masters degree or equivalent experience, with at least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in academia and/or business, or equivalent work experience
- Excellent management and business skills, and demonstrated success managing teams working in disparate locations
- Demonstrated success leading a service department or organization
- Excellence in organizational management, with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Strategic thinker and ability to make decisions in a timely manner
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Preferred Experience working in start up environment
- Experience working in the higher education sector
- Prior direct management of technical staff
- Fund raising experience
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
DuraSpace is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with academic, scientific, cultural, and technology communities by supporting projects and creating services to help ensure that current and future generations may discover and access our collective digital heritage.
DuraSpace is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package and a work-from-home lifestyle. Extensive travel is expected. You will not need to relocate for this position, the employees are distributed across the country and the C.E.O. can be located anywhere in the United States.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to CEO@duraspace.org, we expect to fill the position by January 2015.