Redwood Shores, CA This fall the Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group (PASIG) will be held in Dublin, Ireland at the Gresham Hotel from October 17-19, 2012. Organizers Tom Cramer, Associate Director, Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford University, and Art Pasquinelli, Director Digital Libraries, Repositories, and Preservation, Oracle would like to thank John Howard and Ursula Byrne at the University College Dublin, Richard Hill of ASIS&T, Raymond Clarke, the PASIG steering committee, Oracle, Tessella, and Microsoft Research for their support of this event.
A more detailed version of the PASIG agenda will be available in the next 1-2 weeks and a final version will be available several weeks before the early bird cut off date. But we realize many of you would like to make travel and logistics plans asap.
I. Registration, Cost, and Accommodations
The Early Bird Special registration cost is $250 and lasts through September 1. The price after September 1 is $375. The event registration is at http://www.asis.org/Pasig/
II. Draft Agenda (Revision 1, as of July 18)
Day 1: Wednesday, October 17
Digital Preservation Bootcamp
• Training in Concepts, Issues, Tools, Strategies & Approaches for Digital Preservation and Archiving
• A state-of-the-art review of storage technology and industry trends with a focus on applying these developments to the unique needs of digital preservation and archiving.
Preservation Research, Breakthroughs and Futures
• Current developments and trends in digital preservation research and practice.
Day 2: Thursday, October 18
Plenary - TBA
Preservation & Archiving Architectures and Operations: Practitioners Knowledge Exchange
• Structured presentation and comparison of preservation systems design and operation. Detailed overviews of PASIG community members' systems, operating practices, and lessons learned.
• Participatory presentations on late breaking developments, compelling breakthroughs or burning issues from the PASIG Community (archives & industry; practitioners and thought-leaders).
Digital Preservation and Multimedia
• The intersection and opportunities of supercomputing facilities and services with digital preservation and archiving.
Cloud-Based Preservation Platforms and Services
• Tapping cloud-based services for local preservation needs in storage, computing and services.
Day 3: Friday, October 19
Plenary - TBA
Domain Deep Dives - TBA
III. October 16 Optional Oracle Pre-PASIG Technology Day
A free Oracle Technology Day will take place on Tuesday, October 16. This is full-day event is open to Oracle customers, prospects, employees, and partners. The tentative agenda is as follows:
Tiered Storage State-of-the-Art Overview
• Storage Archive Manager (SAM) Update, Customer Overviews
Tape Overview and Futures including LTFS Discussion, Customer Overviews
Disk Technology Update and Directions
• Optimized Solution for Lifecycle Content Management and WebCenter Content
To RSVP for this event, please check the box on the PASIG registration form for this optional event. Questions about this optional meeting can be directed to email@example.com.