Ithaca, NY At many US web sites today visitors are being greeted with blacked out access to make the point that the Internet should be allowed to fulfill its potential for providing open access to research, culture and heritage through innovation. On January 18, 2012 Internet users are being urged to join in solidarity with Wikipedia, WordPress, Mozilla, Reddit, Wired, Internet Archive, Ars Technica and many others in opposing pending Unites States legislation: House Bill 3261, The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and S.968, the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA).
• Ars Technica: http://arstechnica.com/staff/palatine/2012/01/sopa-resistance-day-begins-at-ars.ars
• Internet Archive: http://www.archive.org/
• New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/technology/web-wide-protest-over-two-antipiracy-bills.html?_r=1&hp
• Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/
• Wired: http://www.wired.com/