Developers Announce the Release of DSpace 1.8.0
Submitted by on Mon, 2011-11-07 15:54
Ithaca, NY Today Robin Taylor, DSpace 1.8.0 release coordinator and information systems developer, University of Edinburgh, announced the release of DSpace 1.8.0 on behalf of all the DSpace developers. DSpace 1.8.0 may be downloaded immediately at either of the following locations:
• SourceForge: https://sourceforge.net/
In addition, you are welcome to try out DSpace 1.8.0 on
http://demo.dspace.org/ and continue to provide any early feedback you
DSpace 1.8.0 follows 1.7.0 in being a "time-based" release, albeit scheduled a little earlier than last year in order to avoid the end of year holiday season. The developers have managed to include some significant new features and numerous bug fixes.
New features and improvements in 1.8.0
• Improvements to the upgrade and configuration process: Most notably dspace.cfg has been split up, and the default behaviour when doing 'Ant update' is to replace the existing files if the new files are different.
• More Curation Tools/Plugins: Including a new "Metadata Link Checker" and "Metadata Translator".
• Configurable Workflow for the XMLUI: Allows administrators to customize their workflow approval process.
• SWORD Client: Enables DSpace to push/submit content to other SWORD enabled repositories.
• SWORDv2 Server Module: DSpace can now support submissions via SWORD protocol version 2 (as well as version 1).
• RSS feeds now support richer features, such as iTunes podcast and publishing to iTunesU.
• Enhancements to Discovery faceted searching & browsing system.
• Rewrite of Creative Commons licensing for XMLUI.
• Ability to reorder bitstreams in an item.
• Ability to enable virus checking during submission.
* Ability to Withdraw/Reinstate/Delete Items in Bulk, via Batch Metadata Editing.
For more details on the above improvements and a complete list of 1.8.0 modifications, please refer to the Version History or the Release Notes:
• Version History: https://wiki.duraspace.org/
The DSpace 1.8 documentation is available online at:
A PDF copy of the Documentation are still distributed with the
In addition, they can also be downloaded from:
The DSpace application would not exist without the hard work and support of the community. Thank you to the many developers who have worked very hard to deliver all the new features and improvements. Also thanks to the users who provided input and feedback on the development, as well
those who participated in the testathons. Additionally thanks toTim Donohue, DuraSpace, for ensuring that the release of DSpace 1.8 went off without a hitch.
A detailed listing of all known people/institutions who contributed directly to DSpace 1.8.0 is available in the Preface of the DSpace Documentation: https://wiki.duraspace.org/
More information on this release is also available in the DSpace 1.8.0 Release Notes at:
Please send feedback about what you think of 1.8.0!