NOW AVAILABLE: DuraCloud 1.0–Fully-featured, Production Quality Open Source Release Makes it Easy to Store, Do More in the Cloud
Submitted by on Thu, 2011-08-04 10:01
Ithaca, NY The DuraSpace organization announced today the release of production-ready DuraCloud 1.0. This release focuses on reporting and integrations with popular DSpace and Fedora repositories. Since 2010, DuraCloud open source software has been available to a community of partners and committers who have provided feedback and testing to ensure that DuraCloud 1.0 is ready to be part of your workflow. DuraCloud is also available as a managed service.
Key features in the 1.0 release include:
This new feature provides detailed information about how much and what kind of data you have stored in DuraCloud. Reports are generated automatically and the information can be viewed via the DuraCloud dashboard or downloaded for processing using new REST API methods. Statistics (including total DuraCloud content stored, total size of content, and breakdowns for each storage provider and storage space) can be downloaded as reports or viewed graphically on the DuraCloud dashboard.
To understand which services you are currently running, and which services have run previously in your DuraCloud account, service statistics reports are now generated automatically and include cumulative service run information. This information can be viewed on the DuraCloud dashboard or downloaded for processing using new REST API methods.
• Seamless built-in integration with DSpace software and stand-alone integration with the Fedora repository software platform make it easy for users to backup their DSpace or Fedora repositories to DuraCloud:
• DSpace Replication Task Suite: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/ReplicationTaskSuite
• The Fedora CloudSync Project https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FEDORACREATE/Fedora+CloudSync
• Any service can now define a dependency on another service.
• "System" services, which need to be installed prior to other services being deployed, are now installed on-the-fly only when needed.
• Feedback provided by running services is now more complete and more consistent among all DuraCloud services.
• Image Viewer URL stability. The URLs for images made available by the Image Server service will now stay consistent across restarts of the service and restarts of the DuraCloud instance.
• Improved character set support. Content IDs can now consist of any characters which can be properly encoded using UTF-8 (with the exception of "reserved" characters mentioned here)
DuraSpace is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. DuraSpace provides leadership and innovation in the use of open source and cloud-based technologies to serve libraries, universities, research centers, for managing and preserving digital content. The organization’s open source technology portfolio includes the DSpace open access repository application and the Fedora open repository platform. DuraSpace is the home of DuraCloud, an emerging cloud-based service that leverages existing cloud infrastructure to enable durability and access to digital content. http://duraspace.org/.