The Committers would like to formally announce that the much anticipated DSpace 1.7.0 will be released on Friday, December 17, 2010.
The recent DSpace 1.7.0 Testathon has been a success. It has helped us to locate several issues/bugs that we are working to resolve before the 1.7.0 Final Release. We'd like to thank everyone who has taken part in testing and reporting of issues.
As a reminder, this new release will bring several new major features, along with numerous bug fixes and performance improvements.
Major new features/improvements include:
• A new XMLUI Theme named Mirage (contributed by @mire), which you can see in action at http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/
• The DSpace "Discover" module, which allows you to add faceted browsing/searching to XMLUI (contributed by @mire), also in action at http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/
• A new Archival Information Package (AIP) Backup & Restore process
• A new Curation Administration User Interface -- which will allow for a series of Curation tasks to be performed on objects in DSpace.
• PowerPoint text extraction, for searching within PowerPoint slides
• Improved Google Scholar Indexing -- We've been working directly with Google Scholar developers to ensure your DSpace contents are findable in Google Scholar.
• Improved performance and scalability of DSpace (thanks to Graham Triggs for leading the effort to plug up memory leaks and fix other performance issues)
• Automated Unit Testing of core code -- helps the developers ensure the core code of DSpace is as bug free and stable as possible
In the meantime, you are welcome to try out the early release of DSpace 1.7.0 on http://demo.dspace.org/ and continue to provide any early feedback you may have. If you'd like to install a test version on your own server, early releases of DSpace 1.7.0 are also available to download on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/files/
More information on this release is also available in the DSpace 1.7.0 Release Notes at:
We hope that you are as excited as we are about the upcoming release of DSpace 1.7.0. Have a happy holiday season!
Peter Dietz (1.7.0 Release Coordinator) and the DSpace Committers