Help Plan the DSpace User Group Meeting after SPARC Conference
Submitted by on Thu, 2010-07-29 17:18
From Valorie Hollister, Director of Community Development, DSpace Project, DuraSpace
Ithaca, NY There will be a one day DSpace User Group Meeting on November 10, 2010 in Baltimore, Maryland, immediately following the SPARC Digital Repositories Meeting (http://www.arl.org/sparc/media/10-0513.shtml) on November 8 and 9.
A big thank you to @mire (http://atmire.com/), a Registered DSpace Service Provider, who is sponsoring the DSpace meeting.
As the DSpace Global Outreach Committee plans the user group meeting, we are looking for community feedback on what type of content would be most interesting to include. For anyone who may attend, we’d like to know what you are most interested in hearing about.
Please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) your feedback on the top content items you would like to see–either based on the list of possible presentations below or add your own ideas for content.
DSpace User Group Meeting Presentation Ideas:
1. Update on DSpace: 1.7 and beyond
2. DSpace Under the Hood: How DSpace works (based on the joint presentation of DSpace Committers and the DSpace Global Outreach Committee at OR10 http://or2010.fecyt.es/Resources/documentos/Duraspace/DSpace%20Under%20the%20Hood_How%20DSpace%20works.pdf)
3. DSpace Under the Hood: The development process and YOUR role in it (based on the joint presentation of DSpace Committers and the DSpace Global Outreach Committee at OR10 http://or2010.fecyt.es/Resources/documentos/Duraspace/DSpace%20Under%20the%20Hood_The%20development%20process%20and%20YOUR%20role%20in%20it.pdf)
4. A Tutorial on the Batch Metadata Editing Tool (based on the presentation by Leonie Hayes at OR10 http://or2010.fecyt.es/Resources/documentos/Duraspace/Batch%20Metadata%20Editing.pdf)
5. Structured discussion on a topic of interest - some examples could include:
- preservation and archiving practices - what Solutions Communities may have to offer
- usage statistics (item downloads, page vists, etc) - establishing standards so info can be exchanged
- your DSpace team - what skills do you need to keep DSpace up and running? how many staff to you need to support your repository?
6. Half day Manakin Training by Eric Luhrs from Lafayette College
7. SWORD Workshop: Adding SWORD to your repository armor (based on the OR10 workshop http://or2010.fecyt.es/Publico/WorkShop/index.aspx#b3)
8. Presentations from the DSpace community about interesting projects - successes or failures of different DSpace use cases (video repositories, dark archives, etc)
9. DSpace Surgery - bring your questions and problems
10. YOUR IDEAS?
Registration is open for the SPARC Digital Repositories Meeting that will be held November 8 & 9, 2010 at the Renaissance Harborplace Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland at http://www.arl.org/sparc/meetings/dr10