2014 VIVO Conference Update: Keynote Speakers Announced
Submitted by on Thu, 2014-07-24 13:08
The 2014 VIVO Conference is about People
Join us at the annual VIVO Conference in Austin to connect with colleagues, new and old. This year's conference will continue the tradition of bringing together conference attendees with dynamic speakers.
VIVO is happy to announce this year's keynote speakers:
• Carole Goble: Full Professor in the School of Computer Science, at the University of Manchester
• Peter Fox: Tetherless World Constellation Chair, Professor of Earth and Environmental Science and Computer Science, and Director of the Information Technology and Web Science Program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Along with these insightful keynote presentations, invited speakers include:
• Dr. Paolo Ciccarese: Assistant Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School; Assistant in Neuroscience at Massachusetts General Hospital; Senior Information Scientist, MGH Biomedical Informatics Core; Co-chair of the W3C Open Annotation Community Group
• Katy Börner: Professor of Information Science, Indiana University
• Elaine Collier: Senior Advisor to the Director, National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences
Come Meet The New VIVO Project Director
The VIVO team is proud to introduce Layne Johnson as the VIVO Project Director under Duraspace. Layne began this role on May 1, and is working full-time to help us bring VIVO to the next level. Layne will be attending the VIVO conference, and is looking forward to meeting members of the VIVO community.
VIVO is about LEARNING
And here are just a few topics you will see presented at this year's conference:
• Creating Dynamic Micro Portals within VIVO
• Enriching Researcher Profiles with Altmetric Data
• Bringing Together Cancer Researchers in India and South Asia with VIVO
• New Tools for VIVO Developers
Experience the City of Austin
This year's conference will be held in the exciting city of Austin at the Hyatt Regency. Located on the shore of Lady Bird Lake within walking distance to city attractions, this venue provides guests with the perfect balance of city excitement in a tranquil environment as the bridge from the hotel leads guests over the lake and right into the heart of Austin. Experience all that Austin has to offer by catching a show at a live music venue and enjoying a world-class meal at one of Austin's many restaurants.
Online Registration is Still Open
There is still time to register online. Don't miss out!
VIVO (http://vivoweb.org) is an open source, open ontology, open process platform for hosting information about the interests, activities and accomplishments of scientists and scholars. VIVO supports open development and integration of science and scholarship through simple, standard semantic web! technologies. VIVO was originally funded by Cornell University and the National Institutes of Health (U24 RR029822) and is currently a community-supported incubator project under the DuraSpace umbrella.
How Does DuraSpace Help?
The DuraSpace (http://duraspace.org) organization is an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access and discovery of digital data. Our values are expressed in our organizational byline, "Committed to our digital future."
DuraSpace works collaboratively with organizations that use VIVO to advance the design, development and sustainability of the project. As a non-profit, DuraSpace provides technical leadership, sustainability planning, fundraising, community development, marketing and communications, collaborations and strategic partnerships, and administration.