From Ian Dolphin, Executive Director, Apereo Foundation, Laura McCord, Open Apereo 2015 Planning Committee Chair, Reba-Anna Lee, Open Apereo 2015 Program Committee Co-chair
The Apereo Foundation supports software used in educational institutions ranging from the CAS single-sign on solution, through uPortal, to the Sakai collaboration and learning environment, and the Apereo Open Academic Environment - a next generation cloud-based platform for academic collaboration. The annual conference "Open Apereo 2015–Higher Education ... Open Source in a New Age" will be held in Baltimore, MD from May 31-June 4, 2015.
The Call for Proposals is now open; deadline for submissions is February 9, 2015!
Open source software is emerging into a new age. It’s an age of software as a service and proprietary cloud offerings, yet with an ever advancing open agenda within higher education. Scarcely a day goes by without a sign of growing support for open content, open access publishing, open data, open science - and more. What lies behind these seemingly contradictory developments? Are they an occasion for retreat, or for re-affirmation of key values applied to a new landscape? What is the role of the open source community and non-profit foundation in this new age? Apereo, and its sister organization, ESUP, represent a global network of almost two hundred higher education institutions and commercial partners. Come and join the conversation about higher education open source in a new age.
Look how far we’ve come! Get ready to learn new things, make new friends, and share your stories at our Open Apereo 2015 conference in Baltimore, Maryland! This year’s conference will be held in the heart of Baltimore’s Inner Harbor, with plenty of dining, shopping, and entertainment right on the picturesque waterfront - see more at: Renaissance Baltimore Harborplace Hotel.
We invite you to submit a proposal now!
Apereo has grown. Come and learn about an expanding range of software produced by higher education, for higher education, including:
- Opencast Matterhorn - enterprise lecture capture and media platform
- UniTime - Scheduling and timetabling designed for higher education
- Karuta - a next generation eportfolio solution
- Bedework - Calendaring for the higher education enterprise
- Xerte - Authoring highly accessible and rich content for learning
- EDExchange - next generation secure transcript exchange
- Student Success Plan - production-ready analytics for student success
- The Sakai Collaboration and Learning Environment
- uPortal - now equipped with responsive design, the higher education portal framework
- CAS - single sign on for the higher education enterprise and beyond
- Apereo Open Academic Environment. Next generation collaboration for learning, teaching and research
- uMobile - mobile solutions for your campus
There’s nothing up our sleeve. All our software is 100% open source; produced openly by our community, openly available, with nothing held back.
It’s not just the software. Come to learn about community building in practice. Join the conversations in our teaching and learning community, learner analytics initiative, and more.
The Open Apereo Conference is designed to be an international, inclusive event, providing opportunities for community members to:
- Present perspectives based on institutional experience, learn from the experience of others, exchange ideas, develop dialogue, and form new partnerships
- Develop an understanding of multiple areas of the academic enterprise by looking beyond immediate interests and appreciating both commonalities and differences
- Organize community-wide, project-based, or institutional discussion, dialogue, and practical collaborative work
- May 31: Pre-conference workshops
- June 1-June 3: Main conference
- June 4: Post conference meetings
Deadline and review:
The deadline for proposals is February 9, 2015. As proposals are received, the program committee will review and accept submissions during the open submission period. The committee expects to have all proposals reviewed and final acceptances by March 6. Please note that you may login and edit/review this proposal only through the cutoff date of February 9, 2015. The deadline for submissions is February 9, 2015. Early Bird Proposals entered by January 23 will be eligible for early review decisions by February 6.
The Apereo conference in Baltimore is a global networking point for practitioners. There will be opportunities during and around the conference for meeting, sharing, and learning from others in our global community.
We look forward to your proposal: https://www.concentra-cms.com/cfp/p/OA2015