From Tim Donohue, DSpace Tech Lead, on behalf of the DSpace Committers
I'm pleased to announce that the DSpace 6.0 codebase is now ready for Testathon! We will be holding a two-week 6.0 Testathon extending from Monday, April 25 through Friday, May 6.
Please help ensure the success of DSpace 6.0 by helping us to test it during the 6.0 Testathon that will be held April 25 through May 6.
During this two-week Testathon, we ask that you please take some time to help us test out DSpace 6 by visiting http://demo.dspace.org and looking for any issues, bugs, or general oddities. Look for the blue "Provide Feedback" button to quickly and easily report issues from this demo site.
We also will make a 6.0 "Release Candidate 1" (6.0-RC1) release available for download for anyone who wants to help test the upgrade or installation processes. This RC1 downloadable release will be announced just prior to Testathon.
From Tim Donohue (on behalf of the Committers)As an additional testing option, you may choose to test 6.0 via the latest Vagrant-DSpace (https://github.com/DSpace/vagrant-dspace). Vagrant-DSpace will auto-install DSpace 6 on a local Virtual Machine (VM) for you to perform quick and easy testing in a local environment.
Additional information on Testathon is being gathered at: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Testathon+Page
DSpace 6 features/changes to look for!
DSpace 6 constitutes a massive overhaul of the underlying codebase behind DSpace. It's a big step forward for our software platform, which will help us more easily achieve our future RoadMap goals.
As such, DSpace 6 contains a mixture of user facing features, systems administration features, and backend API enhancements. Here's a brief list of the major changes and features coming in 6:
- A major refactor of our underlying Java API (supporting UUIDs and Hibernate) which will help ease ongoing maintenance efforts and better support future roadmap goals. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Service+based+api
- Enhanced configuration system, supporting auto-reloadable configurations and easier management of local settings (via a local.cfg file). See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Enhanced+Configuration+Scheme and the 6.0 configuration documentation at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Configuration+Reference
- Note: while many configurations are auto-reloadable, not ALL will be guaranteed reloadable in DSpace 6. But, we hope that will change in DSpace 7.
- Enhanced file (bitstream) storage plugins, including support for Amazon S3 file storage. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Storage+Layer#StorageLayer-ConfiguringtheBitstreamStore
- Configurable site healthcheck (i.e. repository status) reports via email. See https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-2659 and https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Healthcheck+reports
- REST API enhancements, including:
- Robust quality control reports for collection managers built on the REST API. See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/REST+Based+Quality+Control+Reports
- Support for all authentication methods via REST (e.g. Shibboleth, LDAP, etc)
- XMLUI enhancements, including:
- New framework for metadata import from external sources (including an out-of-the-box plugin supporting PubMed, and hopefully more coming soon). This concept was previously only supported in JSPUI. Screencast example: http://screencast.com/t/QBImSGbAUZ
- Extensible administrative control panel, allowing institutions to override or customize this "control panel". See https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Extensible+control+panel
- Export of XMLUI search results to CSV (for batch metadata editing). This feature was previously only supported in JSPUI. Seehttps://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Batch+Metadata+Editing#BatchMetadataEditing-WebInterfaceExport
Additional minor 6.0 changes are noted here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+6.0+Status
Invitation for Translators!
For those who like to help us translate our software into other languages, the DSpace 6.0 codebase is in a stable enough state that translations can be started. For more information on submitting translations, please see https://wiki.duraspace.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=19006307
Thanks! We'll be sending out a reminder email next week with links to further resources, test plans, etc.
 DSpace RoadMap: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/RoadMap