Preservation at Scale Workshop at iPres
There is still time to register for iPres 2013 <http://ipres2013.ist.utl.pt/index.html> to be held in in Lisbon, Portugal Sept. 2-6. If you are attending consider participating in Workshop 5–Preservation at Scale which will be held during the afternoon of September 5 and morning of September 6. There is a great line-up of speakers and plenty of time for discussion among colleagues also wrestling with the issues of scale (hardware, software, policies, organizational structure, etc.)
Speakers and topics include:
1. Marcel Ras, Program manager International e-Depot, Koninklijke Bibliotheek and Caroline van Wijk: "Balancing between technique, organization, roles and long-term strategies"
2. Andrea Goethals, Manager of Digital Preservation and Repository Services, Harvard University: "Challenges and lessons learned in migrating an entire repository"
3. Maureen Pennock, Digital Preservation Manager at The British Library: "Organizational perspectives on strategy and non-technical issues"
4. David Rosenthal, Chief Scientist, LOCKSS Program, Stanford University Libraries: "Economics and operational issues in distributed preservation at scale"
5. Ross King, Chairman of the Board of the Open Planets Foundation: "The SCAPE Project"
6. Vinay Cheruku, Director of Content Management Systems, Portico & JSTOR: "Scaling Up - issues and solutions"
7. Tobias Steinke, Deutsche Nationalbibliothek: "Ingest levels for handling preservation of different object types in a large collection"
8. Tim Dilauro, IT Architect, Digital Research & Curation Center, The Johns Hopkins University: "Lessons learned at the Data Conservancy and Johns Hopkins University Library"
9. Lars Bjornshauge, Managing Director at DOAJ: "Challenges in preserving OA content and the long tail of very small publishers"
10. Peter Burnhill, Director of Edina: "Using The Keepers Registry To Assist Collaboration Between Keepers"
The full agenda is available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1x-1e6SbgkULin3lJ6o0G26iBmjzzHj9v4Argy_-4eV0/edit?usp=sharing, in the workshop Google Docs space: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1X7I2IVBtwzcGVhWUF0TmJIUms&usp=sharing.
If you cannot make it, please follow along on Twitter at #presatscale.