DuraSpace as an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable, persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with academic, scientific, cultural, technology, and research communities by supporting projects and advancing services to help ensure that current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage.
Our vision is expressed in our organizational byline, “Working together to provide enduring access to the world’s digital heritage.”
Our Community-Supported Open Source Projects
DuraSpace community-supported open technology projects provide long-term, durable access to and discovery of digital assets. We put together global, strategic collaborations to sustain DSpace and Fedora, two of the most widely-used repository solutions in the world, VIVO, a semantic web platform that enables research discovery, and CASRAI (The Consortia Advancing Standards in Research Administration Information), which adds ‘open systems’ and ‘open standards’ to our focus on open source software development–a layered open stack we will call OS3 or “OS-cubed”. The CASRAI project adds a Research Management Information (RMI) dimension to our scholarly communications and open access program areas and we are excited to have the CASRAI project spearhead our Research Management Information (RMI) efforts.
More than eighteen hundred institutions use and help develop our open source software in partnership with DuraSpace. DSpace, Fedora and VIVO are directly supported with in-kind contributions of development resources and financial donations through the annual DuraSpace Membership Campaign: https://duraspace.org/membership/value-and-benefits/.
Here is how DuraSpace supports open source projects:
• Executive Leadership The DuraSpace executive team helps plan for success and sustainability of our open source projects, cultivates partnerships with complementary organizations, and identifies grant opportunities and collaborative partners to coordinate grant applications and administration.
• Technical Leadership DuraSpace’s dedicated and highly skilled technical staff guides the open source development process by providing leadership, oversight, mentoring, transparent communications, infrastructure, and strategic integrations.
• Community Outreach With large, vibrant and active project user communities, DuraSpace designs community programs which foster mutually beneficial collaboration and professional development that include fundraising, recruiting Registered Service Providers, establishing community groups, collaborating on organizing relevant events such as user group meetings and Open Repositories, and providing learning opportunities for our project communities to share experiences and expand their knowledge (e.g. curated “Hot Topics” webinar series and monthly workshop webinars).
• Fundraising DuraSpace coordinates an annual membership campaign that identifies fundraising goals and target audiences and cultivates and maintains member and prospect contact information with the aim of deeply engaging the community in sustaining our open source projects by becoming active stakeholders in the future of our open source projects. We encourage institutions to become a DuraSpace Members to join us in building bridges to worldwide open scholarship by supporting open source technologies and open standards.
• Community Development by establishing innovative events and programs we foster collaboration and professional development to build capacity in our large and vibrant global user communities.
• Marketing and Communications As a premiere information source within and external to worldwide open technology, preservation, access and discovery communities, DuraSpace staff works with project leadership to foster the exchange of strategic information through our communications network which includes mailing lists (7,000+); monthly newsletters DuraSpace Digest (7,000+), the Member Newsletter (600), the Fedora Newsletter (600), and DuraSpace Informe (350); Twitter feeds (5,000+ followers), and our web site and wiki.
• Business Administration Under the stewardship of DuraSpace, a not-for-profit organization, projects receive essential business support including all accounting, payroll, human resources functions, and grant administration.
DuraSpace is your partner in developing innovative solutions to meet today’s access, preservation and discovery challenges. We provide services to the digital preservation community that enable long term access and preservation of your digital assets.
Our services include DuraCloud–an easy and cost effective way to archive, share and manage content in the cloud. With one click multiple copies are created in the cloud in different locations with several providers all while ensuring the health of the content through DuraCloud’s automated content health checking services.
DSpaceDirect is a low-cost, turnkey hosted repository service that can be used to preserve and provide access to academic faculty and student papers, projects, and research through a DSpace interface.
ArchivesDirect is a hosted service offered by DuraSpace in partnership with Artefactual Systems for creating standards-based digital preservation content packages that are archived in secure long-term storage.
We also offer professional development opportunities which include the Hot Topics Community Web Seminar Series and monthly workshop webinars.