What does DuraSpace do for its Open Source Projects?
DuraSpace is a non-profit organization providing technical leadership, sustainability planning, fundraising, community development, marketing and communications, collaborations and strategic partnerships and administration to the DSpace, Fedora and VIVO projects.
DuraSpace technical leads work closely with committers and other community stakeholders to develop long and short-term technical roadmaps that align with industry standards for best practices in open source software development and meet the needs of the community.
- Face-to-face, IRC and teleconference developer meetings
- User Group meetings
- Regular software releases
Working with DuraSpace’s executive staff project leaders develop strategic plans for establishing a long-term project sustainability model.
- Annual strategic planning
- Quarterly business review
- Financial planning, forecasting and review
With the help of the fundraising experts at DuraSpace project leaders engage with their communities in efforts to develop resources to further technical and community development.
- Annual membership campaign
- Registered Service Provider Program
- Corporate Sponsorship Program
Deep and lasting commitment to sustaining and improving our open source software platforms depends on ongoing work with DuraSpace’s 1500+ project stakeholders in the future of DSpace, Fedora and VIVO. DuraSpace offers programs, events and activities are designed to ensure that our communities remain vibrant.
- User Group Meeting
- Online and face-to-face training and web seminars
- Project governance
- International collaboration and partnerships
Marketing and communications
DuraSpace gets the word out about projects’ strategic initiatives, software releases, partnerships and collaborations, events and opportunities through DuraSpace channels that include email lists, newsletters, social media, reports, conferences and articles in publications.
- DuraSpace Digest
- Member Newsletter
- DSpace, Fedora and VIVO email lists
- Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Rebel Mouse
- DuraSpace web sites
Collaborations and strategic partnerships
DuraSpace leads and participates in several national and international information science and preservation and archiving initiatives to keep our projects front and center in ongoing global developments.
- The Digital Preservation Network (DPN)
- Academic Preservation Trust (APTrust)
- The SHared Access Research Ecosystem (SHARE)
- National Digital Stewardship Alliance (NDSA)
- International Conference on Open Repositories (OR)
- Hydra Project
As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation DuraSpace provides projects a legal entity, accounting, personnel and business support services for projects.