DSpace 7.0 is the largest release in the history of DSpace software. This release introduces a brand new (Angular-base) User Interface, which brings together the best of both the JSPUI and XMLUI worlds. All the features you’ve come to expect from DSpace are re-imagined and re-implemented. This new UI is also backed by a brand new REST API, which opens all data and features to the web, allowing DSpace to integrate or interact with external systems/services like never before.
7.0 Download & Installation
DSpace 7.0 includes a separate backend (REST API) & frontend (User Interface). Full installation instructions are available at Installing DSpace.
- Download DSpace 7.0 Backend: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/releases/tag/dspace-7.0
- Download DSpace 7.0 User Interface: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/releases/tag/dspace-7.0
7.0 New Major Features
- A completely new, fully featured REST API (demo site), based on modern best practices. This new backend is not only a REST API, but also still supports OAI-PMH, SWORD (v1 or v2) and RDF. Anything you can do from the User Interface is now also possible in our REST API.
- Redesigned submissions and workflows featuring a one page submission process with a drag-and-drop interface and importing of metadata from external sources or uploaded files. As always both the submission form and your approval workflow are completely configurable.
- A new Configurable Entities object model. DSpace now supports “entities”, which are DSpace Items of a specific ‘type’ which may have relationships to other entities. These entity types and relationships are configurable, with two examples coming out-of-the-box: a set of Journal hierarchy entities (Journal, Volume, Issue, Publication) and a set of Research entities (Publication, Project, Person, OrgUnit).
Many more new and redesigned features are listed in the Release Notes.
Much more information is also available in the online DSpace 7 Documentation
Try it out
DSpace 7.0 Documentation is available at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x
Documentation for older versions of DSpace may be found at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC/All+Documentation
The DSpace application would not exist without the hard work and support of the community. Thank you to the many developers who have worked very hard to deliver all the new features and improvements. Also thanks to the users who provided input and feedback on the development, as well those who participated in the testathons.
DSpace 7 was no different, but at a much larger scale! Our full list of all acknowledgments, including institutions who contributed financially and individuals who contributed code, can be found in the Release Notes