The DSpace Leadership Group, the DSpace Committers and LYRASIS are proud to announce that DSpace 7.0 Beta 1 is now available for download and testing. Beta1 is the first of several scheduled Beta releases provided for community feedback and to introduce the new features of the 7.0 platform. As a Beta release, we do not recommend installing this version in production. Rather, we ask that you consider installing it in a test environment, try it out, and report back any issues or bugs you notice.
DSpace 7.0 beta1 can be tested on our demo sites, installed manually or via a Docker “quick install”. See https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Try+out+DSpace+7
New features to look for
- A completely new, fully featured REST API (provided via a single webapp backend). This new backend is not only a REST API, but also still supports OAI-PMH, SWORD (v1 or v2) and RDF.
- A newly designed search box. Search from the header of any page (click the magnifying glass). The search results page now features automatic search highlight, expandable & searchable filters, and optional thumbnail-based results (click on the “grid” view).
- A new MyDSpace area, including a new, one-page, drag & drop submission form, a new workflow approval process, and searchable past submissions. (Login, click on the profile icon, click “MyDSpace”). Find workflow tasks to claim by selecting “All tasks” in the “Show” dropdown.
- Dynamic user interface translations (Click the globe, and select a language)
- A new Admin sidebar. Login as an Administrator, and an administrative sidebar appears. Use this to create a new Community/Collection/Item, edit existing ones, and manage registries. (NOTE: A number of Administrative tools are still missing or greyed out. They will be coming in future Beta releases.)
- Optional, Configurable Entities feature. DSpace now supports “entities”, which are Items of a specific ‘type’ which may have relationships to other entities. These entity types and relationships are configurable, with two examples coming out-of-the-box: a set of Journal hierarchy entities (Journal, Volume, Issue, Publication) and a set of Research entities (Publication, Project, Person, OrgUnit). For more information see “The Power of Configurable Entities” from OR2019: slides or video recording. Additionally, a test data set featuring both out-of-the-box examples can be used when trying out DSpace 7 via Docker.
- Support for OpenAIREv4 Guidelines for Literature Repositories in OAI-PMH (See the new “openaire4” context in OAI-PMH).
The 7.0 Beta1 Release Notes are available at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Release+Notes
In the coming months we will be releasing a number of Beta releases, with each introducing new (or currently missing) features. The tentative release goals are as follows:
- Beta 2 (goal: Mar 2020): Beta release focusing on Authentication / Authorization enhancements/fixes, enhanced Administrative Editing and Item Versioning.
- Beta 3 (goal: Apr 2020): Beta release focusing on Account Profiles, Submission/Workflow enhancements, additional Administrative tools
- Beta 4 (goal: May 2020): Beta release focusing on SEO enhancements, Theming enhancements, Batch processing tools, Solr-based Statistics views, improved GDPR alignment
- Beta 5 (goal: June 2020): Optional Beta release to cleanup any bugs or issues found in previous Betas, or complete any incomplete features.
- 7.0 Final Release: The final, production-ready release of 7.0 will be released as soon as all the above Betas have been completed and any outstanding major bugs have been resolved. Roughly estimated at 1-2 months after the last Beta.
More information on these release goals can be found at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Release+Goals
At this time, the DSpace 7 documentation is still in progress, but has begun at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/
There are also a number of recorded presentations and workshops available which provide an overview of all the new 7.0 features.
- Presentations / Workshops from OR2019 (June 2019). Some video recordings exist https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+at+OR2019
- Getting Started with DSpace 7 Workshop at the North American User Group Meeting (Sept 2019). Includes slides, workshop materials & a video recording. https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/2019+DSpace+North+American+User+Group+Meeting
- Additional DSpace 7 presentations/workshops/webinars are planned for 2020, including at the OR2020 conference
Thanks to major code contributors!
The following organizations have been major code contributors to DSpace 7.
- FCT / RCAAP