From Brian McBride and Richard Green on behalf of the Samvera Connect 2019 organizing teams
Samvera Connect will be held Oct.22-25 at Washington University in St Louis, Missouri. The following is a list of important updates this week.
• The sign-up list for Mentees is open – anyone who would like to be paired with a Mentor during the conference. Please ensure that you sign up soon, using links below, for any items that are relevant to you. Don’t leave it ‘until the last minute’ because this makes it very difficult for the organizing teams to plan! We are trying something new this year and we will be having a closing plenary session on Friday from 11 AM – 12 PM, we hope everyone will be join us for the closing session.
• Registration and hotels: Registration is open via the website and/or wiki and there is extensive information about recommended hotels that will offer a discount rate for the conference. Early bird registration has ended, the cost to register is now $285.
• Program: Program details are now close to being finalized and can be found here on the wiki, here on the Sched website or by using the Sched app for conference ‘sc2019’. Sign up for the Mentor Program: If you would like to be paired with a Mentor for the conference to guide you through it and help you get the best out of it, there are further details and a sign-up form here. We’re still looking for a few more Mentors with experience of past Connect conferences: if you’d be willing to help, please find further details and a form here.
• Lightning Talks: These will take place on the Wednesday afternoon of the conference in the auditorium immediately adjacent to the Poster Reception so that people can freely move between the two. If you wish to give a five-minute (maximum) Lightning Talk, please sign up using this form. Slots will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, and any still vacant at the time of the conference will be made available for last-minute additions.
• Working/Interest Group sessions: The Program Committee has allocated a slot on Wednesday afternoon, 23rd October, ahead of the Lightning Talks and the Poster Reception (kindly sponsored by EBSCO), for Working and Interest Groups to provide a short report on their work, should they wish. The one-hour slot will comprise ten 6-minute sessions – five minutes talk, one minute changeover. If your group wishes to take advantage of one of these sessions, please fill in the very short form here. No deadline, but first-come, first-served! There will be opportunities during the conference for Groups to hold small meetings, if they so wish.
P• osters: It is something of a tradition that, each year, all institutions sending colleagues to Samvera Connect provide a poster for the Poster Reception which, for 2019, is kindly sponsored by EBSCO. We invite you to submit a poster about work you have done, work you are doing, work you plan to do – or just work that you’re thinking about! The whole point is that it should stimulate informal discussions with fellow delegates. Full details of the process and information about free, on-site printing of your poster can be found on the wiki here.
• Workshop sign-ups: If you plan to attend a workshop on Tuesday 22nd October, please register for it. This will allow us to allocate the sessions to appropriately sized rooms and to contact you with any pre-workshop materials. The full workshop list and the registration form are on the wiki here.
• Companion events: There are two companion, but separate, events taking place on Monday 21st October, a Partner Meeting and a Developer Congress, which you and/or colleagues may need to be planning for.
Remember, if you can only make it to one Samvera meeting in 2019/20, this is the one to attend!