Summer ends and school begins For many of us, summer vacations are ending and school is beginning. Like many academic activities, VIVO slows down in the summer and gains momentum in the fall. Here are just a few of the things that are happening:
- A September Sprint is being planned. Please review proposed tasks and volunteer to help improve the VIVO software
- Third VIVO German Workshop, September 17-18, TIB, Hannover, Germany. See https://events.tib.eu/vivoworkshop2018/
- VIVO Camp, October 18-20, Butler Library, Columbia University, New York City. See https://conta.cc/2v93x4x
- Leadership and Steering are leading efforts to develop and commit to a development focus for VIVO and align various efforts across the project
- Action Planning continues with effort focused on product evolution, resources, and structure and governance. You will hear more from each of these efforts over the coming months
- A Research Intelligence task force is forming. See below and please join.
- Force 11, RDA, CNI meetings and others. We hope to see you in Montreal, Gabarone, Botswana, and Washington DC respectively
As always, if you have questions or comments about these or any other efforts related to VIVO, feel free to drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, post to either email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or VIVO Slack. Not on VIVO Slack? Join here: http://bit.ly/vivo-slack
“Research intelligence is increasingly interesting to the VIVO community, and a sphere where VIVO is particularly well-positioned to add value to adopting institutions, and as an open project, to help shape practices and expectations within the international research community. This Task Force will provide a designated area for the VIVO Community and fellow travelers to communicate and collaborate on research intelligence, emerging requirements and best practices, and implications for policy, systems, interfaces and data models.”
The National Federation for the Advancement of Information Services will be holding a virtual workshop August 29 entitled “Getting Your Content Ready for Semantic Search and AI.” Violeta Ilik will be presenting “Implementing Semantic Discovery for Researchers” See http://bit.ly/2OMn5UA for more information.
Will you be presenting regarding VIVO at an upcoming event or conference? Are you planning to attend a conference and you would like to know if other VIVO community members will be presenting or attending? See Conferences Attended and to Attend for info on conferences of interest. Have something to add to the page? Please do! The wiki is open for editing.
Meetings this week
All times are US Eastern
- Tuesday, 10 AM. Developers Interest Group
- Wednesday 10 AM. Committers Gathering
- Wednesday 11 AM. Product Evolution Task Force
- Thursday 10 AM. Resources Action Planning Group. Contact Terrie Wheeler, or a member of the VIVO Leadership Group
- Thursday 10 AM. Ontology Improvement Task Force
- Thursday 11 AM. Structure and Governance Action Planning Group. Contact Daniel Hook or a member of the VIVO Leadership Group
VIVO Project Director