Sprint! VIVO is holding its first sprint of 2019, and first since the architectural fly-in and the statement of direction. The spring will focus on de-coupling activities aligned with item #2 on the statement of direction. We hope you have been attending developer’s meetings (see below) and are prepared to participate in the sprint. If not, no worries, there is a sprint organizing meeting Monday, March 18, at 11 AM US Eastern Daylight Savings Time (note that the US advances its clocks for daylight savings time a bit before the EU and other parts of the world. Please check time zones for local time).
- Sprint info is here: 2019-03 Sprint
- Sprint kick-off meeting details, agenda, call-in information available here: 2019-03-18 Sprint Kickoff Meeting
- Architectural fly-in results here: 2019 Architectural Fly-in
- Statement of direction is here: Product Direction for 2019
Presenting at the VIVO Conference Do you have work that would be interesting for other members of the VIVO community to hear about? One means for sharing your work is a presentation at the VIVO conference. Are you a first time presenter? Presenting at the conference is possible for everyone. The VIVO Conference welcomes first time presenters. Please take a look at the call for proposals. You will need to write a short description of the work you did and why it might be interesting for others. Please consider presenting your work. You can find the call for proposals here: http://vivoconference.org/talk-proposals/ You will need to sign up for Open Review (it’s easy) and have the ORCiD identifiers for yourself and your co-authors, if any. Don’t have an ORCiD? It’s easy to get one. Visit http://orcid.org Proposals are due April 14th. We hope you plan to share your work via a presentation at the VIVO Conference.
LYRASIS and Duraspace boards vote to merge The LYRASIS and Duraspace boards have voted to merge their non-profit organizations. You can find a press release here: http://bit.ly/2F92eI1
I have served on the board of Duraspace since 2013 and participated in the recent intent to merge and the vote to merge. As in any big change, there are always concerns and opportunities. To vote yes to merge, there had to be evidence that the opportunities afforded by the merger were worth pursuing. I have been asked to share my thoughts bout the merger and my vote. Please see Why I Voted Yes.
Welcome a new VIVO site! Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosi in San Luis Potosi Mexico has a new VIVO site. From Wikipedia:
The Autonomous University of San Luis Potosí (in Spanish: Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosí, UASLP) is a public university in Mexico. It is the largest, oldest, and most comprehensive university in the state of San Luis Potosí, as well as one of the most important ones in Mexico. Among other historic milestones, in 1923, UASLP was the first university in Mexico to have autonomy constitutionally granted
You can see their VIVO here: http://orbis.uaslp.mx/vivo/ They have done a beautiful job representing nearly 7,000 faculty and staff.
Bienvenido Universidad Autónoma de San Luis Potosi!
Books for VIVO One of the classics in the open source literature is The Cathedral and the Bazaar. I recall how it changed my thinking about open source. Highly recommended for all those involved with open source. You can read more about the book and its influence here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar The author’s website is here: http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/
Calls this week All times are US Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Follow the meeting links for connection/call-in details. All meetings use Zoom, a free download available here: http://zoom.us/download Meeting reminders and agendas are typically posted to VIVO Slack. Join VIVO Slack here: http://bit.ly/vivo-slack
The VIVO Google Calendar is available here: bit.ly/vivo-calendar You can add it to your calendars so you are always up to date on upcoming meetings and events!
- 2019-03-18 Sprint Kickoff Meeting Monday 11 AM. All are welcome! The group is looking for testers and writers for documentation.
- Development Interest Group All are welcome! The group discusses open tickets, reviews of submitted code, best practices, and future efforts. No previous VIVO development experience needed. Tuesday, 10 AM
- VIVO Committers meets Wednesday, 10 AM. The committers discuss code commits.
- VIVO Conference Planning Task Force meets Wednesday at 10 AM. The group is planning the 2019 VIVO Conference in Podgorica, Montenegro. Have an interest in sponsorship, program, marketing, technical support? No experience needed. All are welcome.
- Product Evolution Task Force meets Wednesday at 11 AM. The group discusses VIVO Scholar, a new front-end for VIVO.
- Ontology Interest Group meets Thursday at 10 AM. Interested in what things are? Ontology describes the domain of scholarship. All are welcome.
- 2019 Membership Task Force meets Wednesday at 3 PM. The group is always looking for those interested in reaching out to VIVO members, and prospects for VIVO membership. VIVO membership is the financial support that sustains the project. Our current members are here: https://duraspace.org/vivo/community/members/ Not a member? Your organization can become a member today. See https://duraspace.org/membership/become-a-member/
VIVO Project Director